The primary areas of research in the Kilbey group include synthesis and characterization of soft materials used for surface and interface engineering. We focus on studying the intrinsic links between assembly, structure and properties of ultrathin polymer films at surfaces and of molecular assemblies in solution. Our challenge is to understand the design rules whereby controllable, precise syntheses coupled with the ability to manipulate molecular assembly and intermolecular interactions lead to new and useful structures, properties, and products. We use a variety of characterization methods to probe structure and interactions on length scales approaching molecular dimensions, including surface forces measurements and neutron reflectivity, and we also use in situ ellipsometric measurements to track dynamics of assembly and changes in solvated structure of surface-tethered polymer thin films. We also use light scattering to examine solution properties of self-assembled systems.
Kilbey Group News
- Graham Collier successfully presented and defended his original research proposal. Congrats Graham!
- Zach Seibers’ work on bulk heterojunction additives was published in ACS Nano. Congrats Zach!
- Graham, Kamlesh, and Zach presented their research at the 12th National Graduate Research Polymer Conference in Akron, Ohio.
- Graham Collier’s paper on main chain purine-based copolymers was published in ACS Macro Letters. Congrats Graham!
- Dr. Kilbey was announced as the Ziegler Professor.
- Bethany Aden was selected for the 2016 Eastman Chemical Fellowship in Polymer Characterization.
- Kilbey group welcomes Sina Sarbury.
- Mike named 2016 Outstanding Teacher in Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering.
- Dayton, Kamlesh, and Rachel presented their research work at UT/VT Workshop.
- Evan Boone won honorable mention for his poster at the UT EURēCA poster session. Congrats Evan!
- Dayton Street successfully defended and passed his candidacy research proposal (CRP)
- Zach Siebers gave a talk at the 2016 Spring ACS meeting in San Diego, CA